Help & advice centre
Everything you need to know about backer boards & underfloor heating
What are Tile Backer Boards?
Tile backer boards are made from Extruded Polystyrene Sheet - Polymer Modified Coating. The main uses are:
- As a superior waterproof surface to fix wall or floor tiles
- As first class heat insulation for underfloor heating systems.
Various thickness sizes available:
Why use Tile Backer Boards?
Tile backer boards are:
- Waterproof and dimensionally stable (unlike plywood)
- Ideal for wetrooms
- Easy to carry, no more shifting huge sheets of plywood around
- Excellent sound insulation: impact sound is greatly reduced
- Cuts with a knife. No need for a jigsaw
- Will accept even the heaviest wall tiles, unlike plasterboard.(correct installation method must be followed)
- Excellent heat insulation with thermal conductivity value of 0.027 W/mK making them ideal for use as a thermal barrier with under floor heating.
Excellent thermal properties
Ideal for Underfloor Heating
You will need the following backer boards:
To find out the amount of Backer Boards required enter the "Area Type" and "Room Dimensions".
Tile Backer Board Installation
There are 2 options when it comes to subfloors; Concrete and wood. Tile backer boards can be used on both types of subfloors however they do need to be installed differently.
Wood Subfloor Installation
When installing onto wooden/ply floors we recommend using a ProWarm™ insulation fixing pack or suitable screws and washers. Screws and washers must be fixed at minimum 300mm centers. This is approx 15 fixing per boards
Concrete Subfloor Installation
When installing any type of tile backer board onto concrete sub floor we recommend using Ultra™ Flexible Tile Adhesive, please make sure the floor is primed with a suitable primer before installation.
Watch our video - step by step guidance for a successful installation
Systems to suit all floor types?
There are 4 main types of Underfloor heating for electric and all do the same thing, warm the floor and the room.
Every project is different and we will always recommend the most cost effective and suitable system for you, we are experts in all types and won't try and sell you something that isn't suitable.
What are the benefits of underfloor heating?
The radiant form of underfloor heating with even heat distribution is far more comfortable and efficient than the convected heat provided by radiators, which draws cold air across the floor, heating it and then convecting it upwards towards the ceiling.
- Even heat distribution
- Individual room control
- Free up wall space
- No more cold floors
- Energy efficient save on bills
- No exposed pipework
- Minimal maintenance
- Reduced airborne dust pollution